How is it possible that a label maker could change your life you ask?
Because a label does the speaking for you 24/7 in your life!
Imagine the energy that can be conserved when you no longer have to be asked where something is in your home? You no longer have to be the go-to girl or guy since the label is communicating to others for you whether you are home or not.
Once you have created an organized system for any given zone, drawer, shelf or basket a clean label needs to be placed to connect the space and communicate its place to ALL family members AND visiting guests what theme goes where.
About 10 years ago, we hosted a bible study for about 18 parents and kids. All night long I was asked which can was the trash and which was recyclable. Although I appreciated everyone being so respectful, I didn’t like being asked the same questions repeatedly and found it distracting me from focusing on hosting. It was that evening I realized a simple label could have avoided all the questions and unnecessary interruptions that evening.
From that moment on I kicked up my label game to a whole new level and never looked back! Often, I will use a Sharpie and write on masking tape to try out certain titles. Once a match is found, then I will replace the tape with a professional label using my nifty Brother Label Maker.
My all-time favorite label maker is the Brother P-Touch for it is easy to use, small to carry, and offers 2 font styles and 20 frames… the options are limitless.
Here are 5 areas I have found this mighty $42 label maker will truly change your life:
- Kitchen Trash & Recycle Cans – For flip top lids, label the tops of the cans. For pull-out cabinet-style cans, either label the top of the inside frame or track so the pull-out so it is properly marked. Imagine never being asked for the rest of your life which is the trash and which is the recycling… it is awesome! I even placed a separate set of cans on our back patio for our personal use and parties. BAM!
- Fridge & Freezer Spaces – Once you figure out which products are best stored on which shelves and drawers, then it is time to seal the deal with a label! If you think I am nuts I am not because there are likely hundreds of dollars of food stored in there. If you can not see nor locate that food, it will quickly spoil. Start off with the side doors and mark themes, such as Dressings, Spreads, or Condiments. Drawers can be marked Lunch Making, Salad Making, or Recipe Related. Next, move to the freezer, labeling shelves with popular categories such as Vegetables, Proteins, Bread, Dinner Meals, and my personal favorite… Sweet Treats!
- Pantry Baskets & Shelves – This is the area where excessive overbuying occurs because the food and drink categories become very intermingled. Often we see clients will corral their categories but forget the most important step, which is to adhere a label to that bin or basket or even on the shelf in that given area. Hop over to my website and print off my Pantry Printable. It will be your go-to guide for setting your pantry up for success.
- Bathroom Back Stock – Another area where you can light a match and watch your hard-earned money burn bright due to NOT being labeled properly. These categories can range from Cold and Flu, Oral Care, Skin Care, Hair Care, Cosmetics, Paper Goods, Eye Care, Tummy Relief, and Travel Related.
- Garage Gear – The area of greatest loss overall when not properly labeled. Although we have undergone a massive home remodel, I reused the boxes in which our recessed lights came in and placed a label over the front to make themes like Light Switches, Indoor Bulbs, Outdoor, Landscaping Related, Plumbing, Electrical or Car Related. It is all about consistency and order, especially in this space. Once our remodel is complete I will upgrade to the final bin solution. For right now the focus is on function, then can get fancy later!
If you still don’t believe me when I say a label maker will change your life, then I challenge you to count on any given day how many times you are asked to locate something when a label could have answered that question for you. In addition, it naturally makes the other family member more independent and accountable to find the item and return it back accordingly.
Remember… Kids miraculously can read and return items in school so there is truly no reason it cannot be accomplished in your home – starting today!